Sunday, June 24, 2012

Homecoming

They always say be careful what you wish for.  Well what did I wish for? To feel the rain on my face and the wind in my hair and so naturally it hasn't stopped raining or blowing or a gale for the whole of our first week back in the UK.

What else did I say I was looking forward to? A stroll to the pub.  Well my feet have hardly touched the ground since we got back  we've been so busy, but when they did touch the ground they came into contact with a packing case.  The result? Something that suspiciously looks and feels like a broken toe. I just about managed to hobble the ten minute walk to the local on Wednesday - the only shoes I can comfortably wear are a pair of sparkly white flipflops.  Ideal for around a sunny pool in LA but hardly suitable attire for the soggy British countryside.

So yes we are just about settled into our new home; the teenager is terrified by the thought of having to learn to drive along the narrow country lanes; the husband is dreading the prospect of having to tackle all that DIY and I'm desperately seeking storage solutions for all our possessions.  The new house is already full and we are still awaiting the arrival of the shipping container.

When it comes to sociability however, the Brits have won hands down.  In the few days since we moved in we have already met three of our new neighbours - one who introduced herself to complain about some loose guttering, another who continually parks across our drive, and the third who welcomed us to the road with a bottle of red wine - he's obviously our favourite!!

As for the LA Bubble, well it's the end of an era. Our bubble didn't so much  burst as evaporate; dissolve.  It's amazing what you get used to and human beings are remarkably resilient creatures.  I'm sure we'll all adapt pretty quickly to our new life in the UK -  we'll probably have developed webbed feet by this time next week.

So its' over - that lazy Californian lifestyle.  It was good whilst it lasted although I would never have thought I'd be saying that when  I set out on our overseas adventure three years ago.  For the first twelve months of living in the US I would have willingly come home at the drop of a hat; the feelings of culture shock, home-sickeness and loneliness were overwhelming.  No I never got to grips with a new way of life, the dream often seemed like a nightmare, and I know I'll never understand the American psyche. Two and a Half Men is just not funny.

But I've visited some awe-inspiring places, and I've met some great people; I've travelled to parts of the world I'd only ever read about, and have made some genuine new friends.  I don't feel I've moved back to the UK- I feel I've moved on. We have all changed. I never used to do thrills and spills, especially not at great height or great speed, but life in the LA Bubble was certainly one roller coaster ride I wouldn't have missed for the world, although I'm not quite sure I'll be joining the queue to do it again.......




1 comment:

  1. It is so great to see one more post from you. I hope very much that you will continue writing a blog in the future! Please keep us posted! And good luck with settling down at home!

    ReplyDelete