Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Out to Lunch


One thing I really like about living in Pasadena is having such a wide choice of cafes and restaurants on my doorstep, it’s just a shame the city council have never cottoned on to that quaint European idea of pedestrianisation and stopped the main street traversing Old Town. It’s easy to imagine a piazza style walkway full of tables and chairs, without the noise and traffic fumes, but there again, would your average American visit a café if they had to park their car 500 yards away? Probably not.

About once a week I meet up with a few ex-pat friends plus anyone else who happens to want to join us (we’re not exclusive) and we go out to lunch.  

Ever since I first arrived in Pasadena 2 ½ years ago I’ve been  strolling past the Cordon Bleu cookery school peering in the large windows to watch the trainee chefs at work.  About a year ago the school opened up a new restaurant and ever since we’ve been promising to treat ourselves to lunch.  Last week we finally went (it’s amazing how inspired you get to actually do things when you realize your time is about to run out).

$10 for a three course lunch and a NO TIPPING PLEASE policy, how bad could it be? Well it wasn’t bad at all, in fact it was a great culinary experience! 

The menu offers a choice of 8 different starters, 7 mains and 5 desserts. In my opinion the starters and the desserts are always the best part of any menu and the Cordon Bleu  was no exception. In fact if I could have just eaten my way through the entire 8 starters and the 5 desserts I’d have been a very happy girl; as it was I was only allowed one of each for my $10 and it was compulsory to have the main course.  But it would have been churlish to complain.

It was great to go out to eat somewhere in Pasadena and not be totally over-faced with gigantic portions; the staff were attentive but we never felt rushed; the only negative comment I have about the whole experience was that the restaurant is housed in an architecturally very impressive building – its an old bank – but open kitchens and high ceilings are bad for acoustics.  It was extremely noisy, but what the heck, you’re there to eat, not to talk!!

Highly recommended!





No comments:

Post a Comment