Thursday, March 3, 2011

Breaking News


Two or three times a week I head out on a morning walk.  This used to be a power walk but now it’s turned into more of a leisurely stroll – not because I've given up on my quest for fitness, but simply because there’s just far too much to see on route and it’s such valuable thinking time.  

This blog was born out of boredom – I wasn't brought up to be this desperate housewife with so much time on my hands. Yes it is a very useful way of letting off steam and letting everyone back home  know what I’ve been up to, recounting the joys and perils of life  here in LA. Sometimes I think nothing much happened this week, there's nothing interesting to report, but when I am out on my walks a random thought will pop into my head, and suddenly I’m inspired. Before I know it I’ve covered three miles and written six posts.

I have a very scenic route; I walk the last couple of residential roads before the terrain peters off into the mountains; it’s very quiet, the backdrop is beautiful and the houses expensive. It’s a very pleasant way to spend the first hour of the morning, but not the most exciting although I am always hopeful I might spot some of the local wildlife - a bear perhaps or at least a raccoon, but it’s usually just me and an assortment of Mexican gardeners. 

Occasionally I’ll pass another walker or a jogger, and since I’ve recently deviated my route further up into the foothills, I’ve started to see more dog walkers too.  This is very encouraging – most of the dogs down in town don’t get out for much of  a walk – most of them are carried under the arm or in a handbag.  It seems quite significant that as the houses have got larger  so has the size of the dog.

I did pass a mansion the other morning with a very large German Shepherd  dog prowling on the front drive – fortunately behind locked gates.  It was decided unfriendly despite the snazzy bandana around its neck, barking as I approached and baring very large pearly white teeth (dog orthodontics?).  The next day I took the same route and spotted this dog on its own out in the road.  At first glance it could have been a coyote, but then I recognised the red bandana and thought, no, too well dressed to be a coyote, so I decided not to take any chances and headed off down a side street.  That’s one good thing about modern midtown America – it’s all built on a grid.  Take a left, then left again and you’ll get back to wherever you originally came from.  It does make life a lot easier if somewhat predictable.
  
Of course the reason I'm telling you about this total non-event is that yes – it really is the most exciting thing that happened to me this week, but judging by local LA TV news standards, it is actually quite a newsworthy item. Recent headlines on the local morning news have included pet dog lost down storm drain, gust of wind blows over wheelie bin and bear stuck in a tree. I think “Stylishly attired guard dog threatens innocent power walker” seems to fit in quite nicely.

You may think I’m joking, but unfortunately I’m not.  On a day on when 145 people died in an earthquake in New Zealand the lead item on the local LA morning news was Justin Bieber’s haircut.

It's not me living in the bubble.


No comments:

Post a Comment